Sunday, December 14, 2008

Defensive backs have the coolest names

I was just watching my Cowboys play the Giants on the wonderful NBC.com live stream of Sunday night football. It's come in really handy this semester, as I always seem to be stuck in a computer lab after Freshmen Group gets out.

Here's the big observation of the night. If you want your kid to have a chance at being an NFL defensive back, give him a really cool name. This revelation hit me like a rock after I saw the Giants RW McQuarters make a couple plays. He is one of many DBs who have names with that certain ring to it. Don't believe me? Look at this list:

RW McQuarters
Champ Bailey
Shawn Springs
Ty Law
Troy Polamalu
Asante Samuel
Deltha O'Neal
DeAngelo Hall
Pacman Jones

Okay, that last one is just a nickname, but hopefully you see the trend. Most of these are pro-bowl caliber guys, too, I'm not scouring the nfl.com database or anything. Wide recievers play a similar position, yet they just aren't as striking:

Chad Johnson
Donald Driver
Steve Smith
Calvin Johnson

*Yawn*. Just not much to it. I played wide reciever, so maybe that was my problem all along: my name is too flashy. Lance Allgood, sounds like it should belong in the DB list. Just think how good I could have been if I had switched to Defensive Back. But if I was going to succeed and still be a wide reciever, I needed to change my name to Michael Smith.

When I played at Central College it was all true too. Observe:

Our best cornerback:
Guy Dierikx

Our best reciever:
Josh Smith

Based on my research, we should have been able to figure out who would be who on day one. If only I had figured it out sooner!

No comments: